The Village of Lake Barrington celebrated the grand opening of the Speedway Café convenience store at a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by Village President Kevin Richardson, Village Trustees, representatives of Speedway corporate office and local business owners and residents.
Following the ribbon cutting ceremony, Village President Kevin Richardson made the first purchase at the local business by filling his car up with gas. The Speedway Café is located at the intersection of Kelsey Road and Northwest Highway and was approved by the Village unanimously in 2014. The full-service convenience store will serve both residents of Lake Barrington and countless customers traveling this busy intersection. This visually appealing business will further the Village’s mission of promoting the community as a great and easy place to do business.
“This is an exciting day for our community and we are fortunate to have a great partner in Speedway,” said President Richardson. “The Speedway Café provides residents and customers with both a full-service gas station and high-quality amenities that we believe are consistent with our community. In addition, this significant business will be a major revenue generator for the Village for years to come, especially at a time when local government is being squeezed by the state and the federal government.”
Speedway Café Convenience Store Facts
- Residents in and around Lake Barrington will benefit from the Speedway Café’s full-service convenience store and amenities which are needed at this busy intersection;
- The Speedway Café will add an estimated $100,000 annually to the Village’s sales tax collections;
- Barrington Community Unit School District 220 will collect approximately $55,000 annually in property taxes due to the Speedway Café;
- Speedway improvements to the site include additional environmental protections, adjustments to traffic patterns, architectural integrity and appealing landscaping consistent with the community’s standards;
- The investment of more than $6 million in construction value will increase property tax collections by an estimated 375% at the previously dormant site;
- Speedway Café represents another milestone in the continued development of a strong, pro-business climate in Lake Barrington
Richardson added, “The Village has been a good steward of this process and carefully listened to residents who had some concerns about adding this development. As a result, numerous commitments from Speedway have been made, including effective zoning controls, environmental protections, careful adjustments to traffic patterns, quality construction and premium architectural design to match our community. With the final outcome, everybody wins.”
“We are excited to open this new location in the village of Lake Barrington, where we look forward to serving the community,” said Speedway President Tony Kenney. “The new store will not only provide a convenient service to residents, but will also provide goods to the many people who pass through Lake Barrington every day. We encourage everyone to come see for them themselves what the new Speedway with a Speedy Café has to offer.”
About the Village of Lake Barrington
The Village of Lake Barrington is an oasis of gracious countryside living in an increasingly dense suburban landscape located approximately 40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago in the southwest corner of Lake County, Illinois. Known for its high quality of life, ample green space and low taxes, Lake Barrington blends the best of gracious residential living with convenient shopping and restaurants as well as ready access to public transportation and major highways and interstates.