Village of Lake Barrington officials announced today construction is moving forward on its unanimously approved Speedway Café convenience store site at the intersection of Kelsey Road and Northwest Highway.
On Monday, June 26, demolition of the former structure will begin, and work crews will install a temporary protective fence providing safety and security around the work site with a sign announcing the project is being built.
Throughout the approval process, the Village urged Speedway to make numerous improvements from their original design proposal that reflected the input of Village residents. The approved project reflected a dramatic enhancement to the original plans, and Village officials are working closely with Speedway to ensure the project will be up and running later this year.
“The Speedway Café convenience store is a win-win for the Village and its residents,” said Kevin Richardson
, Village President, Village of Lake Barrington. “Residents in and around our community will soon benefit from the Speedway Café’s full-service convenience store and amenities which are needed at this busy intersection. We’re also excited about the significant sales tax revenue the Village and School District 220 will realize annually which reinforces our dedication of being good stewards of taxpayer dollars. Our community values its businesses and is a great (and easy!) place to do business. This is a long time coming, but we’re excited that the next chapter of this development is underway.”
Speedway Café Convenience Store Facts:
- Residents in and around Lake Barrington will soon benefit from the Speedway Café’s full-service convenience store and amenities which are needed at this busy intersection
- The Speedway Café will add an estimated $100,000 annually to the Village’s sales tax collections
- Barrington Community Unit School District 220 will collect approximately $55,000 annually in property taxes due to the Speedway Café
- Speedway improvements to the site include additional environmental protections, adjustments to traffic patterns, architectural integrity and appealing landscaping consistent with the community’s standards
- The investment of more than $6 million in construction value will increase property tax collections by an estimated 375% at the previously dormant site
- Speedway Café represents another milestone in the continued development of a strong, pro-business climate in Lake Barrington.
For updates and developments on the Speedway Café, please visit the Village of Lake Barrington’s Facebook page and Instagram.
About the Village of Lake Barrington
The Village of Lake Barrington is an oasis of gracious countryside living in an increasingly dense suburban landscape located approximately 40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago in the southwest corner of Lake County, Illinois. Known for its high quality of life, ample green space and low taxes, Lake Barrington blends the best of gracious residential living with convenient shopping and restaurants as well as ready access to public transportation and major highways and interstates.