The Barrington Area Chamber of Commerce (BACC) awarded $4,000 in scholarships to seven local high school students during its Fashion Show and Scholarship Luncheon on Wednesday, May 23 at The Garlands of Barrington.
“Each year BACC awards the Lauren Brown Memorial Scholarship to local high school students to help with expenses of higher education that builds future careers,” said BACC President and CEO Suzanne Corr. “The scholarships are awarded to students who will be attending universities, community colleges, vocational or trade school programs.”
The scholarship is named after Lauren Brown, a lovely young woman who worked for the Chamber for several years and lost her battle with cancer at the age of 29.
This year’s winners of the 2018 BACC Lauren Brown Memorial Scholarship are:
- Maggie Horak (planning to study business at the University of Illinois)
- Jacob Horcher (planning to study engineering at the University of Michigan)
- Mary Horcher (planning to study nursing at Illinois State University)
- Sarah Messerschmidt (planning to study German, international economics and cultural affairs at Valparaiso University)
- Payton Muhs (planning to study criminal justice and accounting at Western Illinois University)
- Tucker Priola (planning to study petroleum engineering at the University of Wyoming)
- Eleanore van Marwijk Kooy (planning to study data science, economics and environmental sustainability at Duke University)
“Lauren Brown Memorial Scholarships are funded by Chamber members through many Chamber events such as our BACC Golf Classic, our Annual Dinner and Silent Auction, and our Women’s Biz Net activities,” Corr said.
The BACC Women’s Biz Net Shop/Sip/Socialize Girls’ Night Out event was held on April 26 at the Ice House Mall, and the BACC Golf Classic will be held on Monday, July 23 at The Club at Wynstone in North Barrington. The Chamber’s Annual Dinner and Silent Auction are held each January.
Scholarships are offered to high school students of Barrington Chamber members and their employees as well as to any Barrington High School students. For more information visit the BACC website: www.BarringtonChamber.com
About the Barrington Area Chamber of Commerce (BACC): The BACC (www.BarringtonChamber.com), founded in 1969, is an association of nearly 900 member businesses representing more than 1,800 business people dedicated to the success and prosperity of the 11 regional communities it serves: Barrington, BarringtonHills, Deer Park, Inverness, Kildeer, Lake Barrington, Long Grove, North Barrington, Port Barrington, South Barrington and Tower Lakes. BACC promotes economic opportunities, advocates the interests of business, offers programs for professional development and leadership, and works to foster a robust regional economy.