The Barrington Junior Women’s Club announced its scholarship and grant recipients this week.
Based on BJWC’s mission and dedication to serving the Barrington Area, BJWC awards 6 Community Service scholarships to Barrington High School students annually to acknowledge their dedication to local service. Applicants must have a minimum of 100 hours of community service to apply.
In addition, the BJWC Janice Clarke Presidential Scholarship
, is a single scholarship awarded to a student who displayed outstanding excellence in leadership, volunteerism and academics throughout high school. Applicants must be in the top 25% of the class and be involved as a leader in one or more extra-curricular activities in the local community.
The scholarship winners and parents were honored at a dinner on Tuesday, 6/7 at Francesca's in Barrington.
This years winners were:
BJWC Janice Clarke Presidential Scholarship ($5,000):
- Hannah Cremer, attending The University of Southern California
Community Service Scholarships ($2,000 each):
Barrington Junior Women's Club
- Claire Brown, attending Marquette University
- Anna Cossio, attending Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
- Thomas Derken, attending The University of Southern California
- Andrew Gugulski, attending The University of Illinois
- Emma Toth, attending Case Western Reserve University
- Medha Verma, attending Stanford University
also awards grants to community organizations on an annual basis. Grant selection is based on direct positive impact on women and children in the Barrington area. This year BJWC granted awards to twenty organizations that provide services throughout the 60010 area.
Our 2016 recipients were:
- Advocate Charitable Foundation
- Barrington Area Council on Aging
- Barrington Area Conservation Trust
- Barrington Children's Choir
- Barrington Giving Day
- Barrington Junior Women's Club (Splash Pad)
- Barrington LEADS
- Barrington Police Department
- Barrington Youth Dance Ensemble
- Barrington Youth & Family Services
- Barrington Youth Football
- Citizens for Conservation
- Little City/Walk on Farms Therapeutic Program
- Samaritan Counseling Center
- Shelter, Inc.
- Smart Farm
- Special Gifts Theatre
- Sunny Hill Little Free Library
- The Community Meal
Through BJWC’s two events each year, Fall Fashion Show and Luncheon in early November and a Spring event in early April, funds are raised for the grants and scholarships. BJWC members also directly volunteer at many of our local organizations throughout the year such as serving Meals on Wheels, Sunny Hill Elementary, and Barrington Giving Day.
BJWC will be active over the summer as well, participating in community events at the Fourth of July Brat Tent Festivities and the Barrington Honor Ride and Run on August 14th.
For more information about BJWC or how to become a member, please click here